Coventry crowned champions as Caldy fight on

Hayes v Coventry
Share on twitter
Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp

Coventry became deserved National One champions at Paton Field romping to a 55-12 victory over an injury-blighted Caldy as they continue to smash the records in celebratory style.

It was a privilege welcoming such a prestigious club on the day they gained promotion back to the championship, even if Caldy were on the wrong end of the title-winning score line. Yet competing at the same level as Coventry is a credit to Caldy’s achievements in recent times and the experience will live long in the memories of all.


Degsy v Coventry. Photo: Derek Salisbury

The youth that was present did themselves no injustice either. A valiant second half performance, which saw them draw the half 12-12, had the travelling BBC Coventry commentators lauding their desire to finish the game strongly. And that they did.

Youthful substitutes Mark Dickson, Tom Concu, and Jordan Tisdale brought dynamism and tenacity to Caldy’s game as they helped Caldy to two tries.

Rhys Hayes scored the first after a remarkable pickup from Nick Royle who then proceeded to stroll past ex-Gloucester and England Saxon’s number 8, Luke Narraway. A cheeky offload fed Rhys Hayes and his pace got him to the line, much to the delight of the Paton Field crowd.

Rhys Hayes v Coventry. Photo: Derek Salisbury

Gav Roberts created the second. His reading of the game impeccable, intercepting the ball and allowing Nick Royle to do the rest. All 50 metres of it.

The newly crowned champions did score nine tries throughout the match to complete an astonishingly impressive title-winning season which, in reality, has never really looked in doubt.

The damage was done in the first half as Caldy found themselves 43-0 down at halftime.

Coventry came out the blocks flying and it took just six minutes for hooker Phil Nilsen to get the ball rolling. His line was perfect, the supply line from scrum half Peter White mesmeric.

With the score at 14-0, Caldy found themselves hard done by after a James Otutaha try was disallowed for continuing his dominant run after the referee felt he was held in the tackle.

The all-important bonus point needed for glory was confirmed on 30 minutes as Cov’s pack heaved their way to the try line finished off by second row Nile Dacres.

Coventry are the champions, and deservedly so. But the second half showing from Caldy shed a different light over what could have been so much worse. Further credit must go to Cady as Coventry became the first side to score 50 at Paton Field this season.


From our Twitter page