Kayaker dies after rescue off the coast of Caldy

The hovercraft that took part in the rescue
Share on twitter
Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp

Merseyside Police have confirmed that a kayaker has died after being swept out to sea off the coast at Caldy.

RNLI crews were scrambled on Saturday afternoon, with the West Kirby lifeboat and Hoylake hovercraft both carrying out searches in the Dee Estuary.

The Coastguard helicopter flew a man in his 30s to hospital, but it has now been revealed he did not survive. The other casualty made his own way to shore and was unharmed.

West Kirby inshore lifeboat

On social media, RNLI West Kirby posted: “West Kirby Lifeboat paged to search for two kayakers missing on the River Dee.

“The crew launched within 10 minutes and upon finding an empty kayak West Kirby Lifeboat requested the launch of Hoylake RNLI’s hovercraft and the HM Coastguard helicopter.

“West Kirby Lifeboat commenced a search pattern to attempt to locate the casualty as did Hoylake RNLI’s hovercraft from the opening of the estuary adjacent to Hilbre Island. Flint RNLI’s inshore lifeboat was also launched and a search of the Welsh side of the estuary carried out.

“West Kirby’s BV206 tractor searched the waterline alongside a search of the shoreline by local HM Coastguard units.

“One casualty returned to shore unaided and the second casualty was located by HM Coastguard helicopter who immediately transferred this casualty to a hospital in Liverpool.”

West Kirby lifeboat
West Kirby lifeboat

A spokesperson for Merseyside Police said: “We can confirm that Merseyside Police were called to the death of a man in his 30s rescued from the water off the coast of Caldy on Saturday 12 June.

“Around 5pm we received a report from the Coastguard that a man had fallen from his kayak into the water and was swept away by the current.

“The man was rescued by the Coastguard and taken to hospital via helicopter. Sadly, he was declared deceased a short time later.

“The man’s next of kin have been informed. The death is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.”

From our Twitter page