Council-run golf and sailing facilities in West Kirby will reopen from Monday 29 March.
They are among the first activities to come back, as the council’s leisure services return in phases in line with the government’s roadmap for easing Covid-19 restrictions.
Outdoor facilities that can be booked from Wednesday 24 March include:
- Wirral Sailing Centre and West Kirby Marine Lake (for those with their own equipment and licence)
- Municipal golf at Hoylake and other courses at The Warren, Brackenwood and Arrowe Park
- Football facilities at Leasowe, Guinea Gap, The Oval and Wirral Tennis Centre
- Tennis facilities at The Oval and Wirral Tennis Centre
- Outdoor exercise sessions will also return for those residents who want to get back to organised group sessions. Classes will be limited to five people and the instructor, to adhere to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions.
The council is working towards opening further leisure facilities from 12 April and 17 May in line with the government’s road map.
However, it is warning that it may not be possible to reopen all facilities as many leisure staff are working in other services to support the council’s COVID-19 response.
In addition, a number of key buildings, such as The Oval and Woodchurch, are also operating as vaccination centres, testing sites and telephone or online support services.
Cllr Tom Anderson, Chair of Tourism Communities, Culture & Leisure Committee for Wirral Council, said: “Over the last year, many people have relied on exercise to keep busy and spend time away from work or home-schooling – as facilities reopen there will be an increased variety of exercise opportunities and more choice for people to get involved with.
“While it won’t be possible for us to reopen everything as quickly as our customers may expect, I hope residents will understand this is due to the council’s ongoing commitment to supporting local people through COVID-19.”
Customers are reminded that all outdoor activities must be booked in advance.
Pre-booking and payment is essential before attending any outdoor facility or activity, either on a pay and play basis or with an Invigor8 membership.
To make a booking, visit Wirral Leisure online or ring the team on 0151 606 2010. Phone lines are operated: Monday to Thursday, 9am to 7pm, Friday, 9am to 5pm and Saturday to Sunday, 9am to 3pm.
For more information on the facilities available or to sign up for a membership visit www.wirralleisure.co.uk.